This was great motivation to get to the gym today, even though I just wanted to sit and watch my roomate play the new xbox game he got yesterday...
I got up to the Y and was surprised how fast I found my rhythm on the treadmill. I settled into a nice pace (6.5) and set off for at least 30 min. I noticed the older man (older than me that is) was wearing a "tri-okc" group shirt. He had been running for a few min more than me when I started, and we both were pacing at the same rate. I noticed he looked at my numbers a couple times, as I was at his. I hope you can see where this is stupidly going...
He increased, I increased. He increased more, I increased more. I was competing in the worlds most boring race on a damn treadmill at the Y. How stupid was this. we were up around a 7.5 pace when he increased more up to around 8 and I finally snapped out of my stupidity and slowed back down to a 6.0 pace. Im upset for 2 reasons:
- I broke out of my rhythm, on a day I was wanting to put in a good distance, for some silly spitting contest on a treadmill at the Y.
- The old bastard beat me.
I got off after 4 miles, got in a good 500 yd swim, left the Y, drove back to the Y to pick up my goggles I left in the showers, went home. Not a bad workout. I only had a slight pain in my right foot. Im starting to get a buldge on the pad of my foot around my 3rd and 4th toe. I plan on webmd'ing it later, but I am sure it will just tell me its cancer (like every ailment always is on webmd).
I mentioned earlier than I have been having some asthma issues in the cold. After reading a few sites, here are my solutions:
- Wear a scarf or something around my mouth and nose. This will increase the humidity and temperature of the air entering the lungs, which will help unrestrict the airways.
- I need to warm up more.
- The more I run outside, and less I overdo it up front (never an issue for me...), the more quickly I will acclimate to the cold, and the asthma should reduce.
- If all else fails, see a doctor.
- Stop being a baby, other people do it. (this may not have been as helpful as the others)
That's all for tonight. I am still working on setting up a strength training program, as well as finding some good triathlons for the next year. I will put up another post about those, as I have rambled on enough for one night.